MORE ON MESSAGE OUT

GFRAZIER at ausvm6.vnet.ibm.com GFRAZIER at ausvm6.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Aug 15 13:02:44 PDT 1994

wrote:

 Having a target enter MESSAGE OUT phase without being requested by the
 initiator is a serious break with tradition and the generic nature of
 the SCSI design.  Doing this as a special exception after SELECTION
 seems to be an unwarranted special case.

I never intended to propose implied message out phases! I agree that
this is not desirable. All I proposed was to require that SCSI-3
targets refuse to execute commands which are not preceeded by an
identify message.  SIP already requires targets to go BUS FREE if the
first message is not Identify, all I am proposing is that they also
go BUS FREE if -ATN is not active.

(Please refer to SIP section 5.0 as I mentioned in my earlier note.)
                                         Giles Frazier
                                         IBM Austin
                                         gfrazier at ausvm6.vnet.ibm.com