SCSI-3 Block Commands (SBC)

John Lohmeyer jlohmeye at ncr-mpd.FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
Thu Aug 11 11:29:08 PDT 1994

"Gene Milligan wrote:"

>  No to both. SBC is the command set for Direct Access Devices with a SAManized
> name to confuse implementors. Special requirements for optical devices not
> fitting the desired behavior of Direct Access Devices should be moved to
> Multimedia Commands (MMC).

The SCSI-3 Multimedia Commands (MMC) project was defined to only pull CD-ROM
devices out of the SBC project.  I believe that Write-Once and Optical Memory
Devices were to remain in SBC.  Quoting from 93-178 (the MMC project proposal):

"2.2   Recommended Scope of Standard or Technical Report

The SCSI-3 Multimedia Commands standard is intended to provide,
in conjunction with the SCSI-3 Primary Commands (SPC), a
complete set of commands for CD devices, while maintaining a
high degree of compatibility with SCSI-2 compliant CD-ROM
devices.

Functions which will be considered for incorporation include:

a)    Pertinent functions from the SCSI-2 CD-ROM command set.

b)    New commands and features to support the new CD functions
      and features.

c)    Other capabilities which fit within the general scope of
      implementing the SCSI-3 Multimedia Commands on a broad
      range of applications, and other capabilities that may be
      proposed during the development phase by the participants
      in the project."

John

--
John Lohmeyer                      E-Mail:  John.Lohmeyer at FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
NCR Microelectronics                Voice:  719-573-3362