SAM R14, ABORT TASK for untagged tasks

Charles Monia, SHR3-2/W3, 237-6757 10-Aug-1994 0953 monia at starch.enet.dec.com
Wed Aug 10 06:51:11 PDT 1994

The following is extracted from Bob Snively's reply:

>Gary is right in saying that ABORT TASK SET is incorrectly specified as
>optional
>(at least on page 60 of revision 13, which is the latest I have).
>ABORT TASK should be optional and ABORT TASK SET should be mandatory.

Just to set the record straight, in SAM rev 14 ABORT TASK SET
is mandatory and ABORT TASK is optional. The changes to SAM and
the relevant working group discussions that led to these changes
are shown below.

The following is from the HP comments on SAM revision 13 and the
proposed response as published in X3T10/94-129R1 "Results of Working
Group Discussion on SAM, Rev. 13 Review Comments"

Begin extract from 94-129R1
=======================================
#053 (T)  Section 5, Page 60, Paragraph 12

Abort Task should not be required.  It is only required if tagged
tasks are supported.  Abort Task Set makes more sense to be required
than does Abort Task

> Comment accepted.

=====================================
End extract from 94-129R1

The following is from SAM R14, Clauses 5.1 and 5.2:
(SAM R14 was distributed at the last plenary.)

Extract from clauses 5.1 and 5.2 on pp 63:

5.1 ABORT TASK

Function Call:

     Service Response = ABORT TASK(Task Address || )

     This function shall be supported by a logical unit that
     supports tagged tasks and may be supported by
     a logical unit that does not support tagged tasks.

5.2 ABORT TASK SET

Function Call:

     Service Response = ABORT TASK SET(Logical Unit Identifier || )

     This function shall be supported by all logical units.
End of extract from SAM rev 14.

Please note that the mailing will contain SAM revision 15, which
incorporates the revision 14 changes, including those  shown
above, and Gerry Houlder's dual port ECO.

Thanks,
Charles Monia