SCSI-3 Reseved fields...

Charles Monia, SHR3-2/W3, 237-6757 29-Apr-1994 1658 monia at starch.enet.dec.com
Fri Apr 29 13:56:48 PDT 1994

You wrote:

On parameter data checking, we discussed this years ago, and there were many
concerns over the ability to check the data in devices with small buffers.
Basically, it is impossible to check 64K worth of parameter data unless you have
a 64K buffer or some other backing store.  This could be done for drives, but
not other devices (e.g. CD-ROMs).  CDBs do not present this problem since they
are limited in size.  I do not remember the resolution, but am not convinced by
the wording cited - it probably read that way in SCSI-1 as well, but I know we
did not interprete it to include parameter data in the SCSI-1 days (otherwise we
would not have had the debate I remember).
Jim:

While the above rationale makes sense to me, I believe it's appropriate to ask
for input from the committee. I'm amenable to modifying my original proposal,
deleting the reference to parameter data and using that as a basis for working
group discussion.

Comments?

Thanks,
Charles