RE>RE- SCSI-3 Reseved Field

jmcgrath at qntm.com jmcgrath at qntm.com
Thu Apr 28 18:23:17 PDT 1994

        Reply to:   RE>RE: SCSI-3 Reseved Fields a
I do not see how the suggestions address Bob's original point - the sender
should be instructed not to set reserved bits, but the target (or logical unit -
in my devices they are one in the same) should not be required to check them.
Checking for reserved bits is a time consuming process (or gate consuming if
done in hardware) - I agree with Bob that there is little reason to perform this
cheack in the real world.

On parameter data, I do not think SCSI-2 requires any checking of parameter data
today.  I would be opposed to an extension that would break de fecto SCSI-3
software (i.e. exiting SCSI-2 software).

Jim