Should SIP require detection of duplicate tags?

chen at corp.cirrus.com chen at corp.cirrus.com
Thu Apr 14 09:52:02 PDT 1994

     I have the same concern about the target responsible of checking the
     duplicated queue.  Indeed the possibility of tag duplication is in the
     order that Steve pointed out -- 65,280 cases.  In order to verify the
     tag duplication, there are few ways to check it:

     1. Firmware:  This verification requires firmware to search for the
     65,280 possibilities to find out the duplication.  With performance in
     mind, the target has to be force to implement greater MIP's, higher
     cost CPU.  Even then, it is not sure for me to see what are we buying.

     2. Silicon: Everything is possible with the cost and die size.  My
     study shows that a significant increase of die size required for this
     implementation (if it is not impossible for 65,280 cases).  A Ram
     based tag table has to be constructed in order for the hardware (or
     firmware) to check it.  Outrages to me.

     Any other thought?

     Joe Chen
     Cirrus Logic, Inc.