Accredited Standards Committee* InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS) Doc. No.: T10/05-228r0 Date: June 1, 2005 Reply to: John Lohmeyer To: T10 Membership From: John Lohmeyer Subject: SAT Working Group -- June 1, 2005 Santa Clara, CA Agenda 1. Opening Remarks 2. Approval of Agenda 3. Attendance and Membership 4. Old Business 4.1 SAT: Remaining Work Items (04-391r5) [Sheffield] 4.2 SAT - REASSIGN BLOCKS command (05-136r1) [Bellamy] 4.3 SAT - LOG SENSE command and SMART (05-142r1) [Bellamy] 4.4 Write Same Translation (05-177r1) [Stevens] 5. New Business 5.1 SAT, START STOP UNIT command mapping (05-226r0) [Evans] 5.2 SAT READ MEDIA SERIAL NUMBER proposal (05-227r0) [Overby] 6. Review of SAT Working Draft 7. Review of Recommendations 8. Meeting Schedule 9. Adjournment Results of Meeting 1. Opening Remarks John Lohmeyer called the meeting to order at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 1, 2005. He thanked Mark Overby of Nvidia Corp. for hosting the meeting. As usual, the people present introduced themselves. 2. Approval of Agenda The draft agenda was approved with no changes. 3. Attendance and Membership Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum attendance requirements for T10 membership. Working group meetings are open to any person or organization directly and materially affected by T10's scope of work. The following people attended the meeting: Name S Organization ------------------------------------ -- ------------------------------------ Mr. Sergio Henriques V Apple Computer, Inc. Mr. Chris Sarcone V Apple Computer, Inc. Mr. Ron Roberts A Broadcom Corp. Mr. Naveen Nimmu V Broadcom Corp. Mr. I. Dal Allan A ENDL Mr. Wayne Bellamy (by phone) V Hewlett Packard Co. Mr. Robert Sheffield P Intel Corp. Mr. John Lohmeyer P LSI Logic Corp. Mr. Mark Evans P Maxtor Corp. Mr. Mark Overby P Nvidia Corp. Mr. Joseph Chen V Samsung Mr. Jim Hatfield V Seagate Technology Mr. Curtis Stevens (by phone) P Western Digital 13 People Present Status Key: P - Principal A,A# - Alternate AV - Advisory Member L - Liaison V - Visitor 4. Old Business 4.1 SAT: Remaining Work Items (04-391r5) [Sheffield] Bob Sheffield reviewed the status of work items remaining in SAT (04-391r5). It was suggested that we should add a subclause dealing with endian issues. Mark Overby advocated that the objective of SAT should be clearly stated to be totally consistent with SPC-3, SBC-2, and SAM-3 (and SAM-2). 4.2 SAT - REASSIGN BLOCKS command (05-136r1) [Bellamy] Wayne Bellamy presented 05-136r1, which defines the proposed mapping of the REASSIGN BLOCKS command. The group suggested some editorial changes. Wayne Bellamy moved and John Lohmeyer seconded that 05-136r2 (r1 as modified) be recommended for inclusion in SAT. In absence of objections, the motion passed unanimously. 4.3 SAT - LOG SENSE command and SMART (05-142r1) [Bellamy] Although Wayne Bellamy asked that this item be deferred to the next meeting, the group did provide some input for his consideration. 4.4 Write Same Translation (05-177r1) [Stevens] Curtis Stevens presented a proposal (05-177r1) on how the WRITE SAME (10) and the WRITE SAME (16) commands are mapped for SAT. There are features described in his proposal that reference the SCT Technical Report (DT1701). The latest draft of this TR is available at www.t13.org. The group discussed whether the first `shall' in the description of the operation code in the first table should be `shall', 'may' or `should'. The majority of the group favored `should'. Curtis Stevens moved and Ron Roberts seconded that 05-177r2 (r1 as revised) be recommended for inclusion in SAT. In absence of objections, the motion passed unanimously. 5. New Business 5.1 SAT, START STOP UNIT command mapping (05-226r0) [Evans] Mark Evans reviewed 05-226r0, a proposal to map the START STOP UNIT command. Mark agreed to prepare a revision 1, including changes agreed upon during the discussion. 5.2 SAT READ MEDIA SERIAL NUMBER proposal (05-227r0) [Overby] Mark Overby presented 05-227r0, which defines how to support the SPC-3 READ MEDIA SERIAL NUMBER command. Mark agreed to make some minor changes, which he will post as 05-227r1 for consideration at the June 20 meeting. One issue discovered during the discussion of this proposal was that the current SAT translation of TEST UNIT READY does not provide a means to determine the presence (or absence) of the medium. Mark said that he might bring in a proposal on fixing this issue. 6. Review of SAT Working Draft Chris Sarcone (Apple) noted that he and Sergio Henriques attended the meeting in hopes that SAT (or SAT-2) would help with mapping on other bridge devices such as those that support 1394 or USB devices. They are also especially concerned about cache synchronization issues with regards to journaling. Bob Sheffield led the group in a review of SAT revision 4. Jim Hatfield requested a specific item be placed on the June 20th agenda to deal with the WRITE BUFFER / DOWNLOAD MICROCODE topic. 7. Review of Recommendations John Lohmeyer noted that the working group made the following recommendation to the T10 plenary: For inclusion in SAT: 05-136r2 SAT - REASSIGN BLOCKS command [Bellamy] 05-177r2 Write Same Translation [Stevens] 8. Meeting Schedule SAT Working Group meetings are scheduled for: Monday, June 20, 2005 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Irvine, CA, at the Embassy Suites (949-553-8332), hosted Western Digital. Tuesday, July 12, 2005 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in Colorado Springs, CO, at the Antlers Hilton Hotel (800-445-8667), hosted by LSI. A teleconference call is scheduled for: Thursday, June 30, 2005 at 9:00 a.m. to noon PDT. Bob Sheffield will post an announcement to the T10 reflector. 9. Adjournment The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m. on Wednesday, June 1, 2005.